|This page uses content from an article at Wikipedia. The list of authors can be seen in the page history. As with Drama Wiki, the text of Wikipedia is available under the GNU Free Documentation License.|
Hotel del Luna (호텔 델루나; Hotel delluna) is a 2019 South Korean television series, starring IU and Yeo Jin Goo as the owner and manager, respectively, of the eponymous hotel that caters only to ghosts. Written by the Hong sisters, it aired on tvN from July 13 to September 1, 2019. It was the most viewed tvN drama of 2019, and it is the twelfth-highest-rated Korean drama in cable television history.
Nestled deep in the heart of Seoul's thriving downtown sits a curious hotel, the like of which no one has ever seen before. Old beyond measure, the building has stood for millennia, an ever-present testament to the fact that things are not always what they seem. Running this hotel is Jang Man Wol (IU), a greedy, suspicious soul who has spent the past thousand years acting as the establishment's CEO.
Cursed for a sin she can no longer remember committing, Man Wol is doomed to spend all of the eternity running this odd establishment, catering to the needs of a most peculiar clientele. Her only hope of escape is to find someone who has committed a worse sin than her own but after a thousand years, she's beginning to lose hope.
However, things take an interesting turn when Goo Chan Sung (Yeo Jin Goo) shows up. Once the youngest assistant manager ever to work at a multinational hotel corporation, Chan Sung finds himself forced to manage the Hotel del Luna because of a deal his father made with Man Wol years ago. A stickler for rules and regulations, he's a perfectionist to the extreme but that may be exactly what this odd establishment and its cursed CEO needs.
- IU as Jang Man Wol, the beautiful but moody owner of Hotel del Luna (Guest House of the Moon) for 1300 years.
- Kim Gyu Ri as Young Jang Man Wol
- She has been condemned to be the owner of the hotel to atone for killing many people. Her character gradually softens after she meets Gu Chan-sung. After the accidental death of her parents in the wilderness Man-wol was found unconscious by a merchant and his son. Later she was taken in by Yeon-woo's mother and raised along with him. After the death of Yeon-woo's mother, the pair remained close as siblings growing up and founded a clan of bandits which aligned with the rebellion. Reaching adult hood she was initially warm, smart and brave, but also sarcastic. After robbing princess Song-hwa who was travelling near the bandits lived in she met Go Chung Myung a soldier serving the king after the initial scuffle the pair fell in love. After spending time with Go-Chung Myung he taught her to write her name. But after Go Chung Myung betrayed Man-wol according to the request of Yeon-woo whom he told about the threat of princess Song-hwa to keep her alive. After the bandits along with Yeon-woo were hung to death in rage and hatred Man-wol killed Go-Chung Myung, Princess Song-Hwa on their wedding night killing many others along the way, she searched for the guest house of moon for the dead to atone for her sin. Once she found it she became cursed to run the guest house eternally until she changes her attitude. Alternating between being cold/aloof and bad-tempered, she held grudges as the centuries passed until she met Gu Chan-sung and changed for the better. She is known for her love of gaudy and garish outfits (over 100 in the series), and frequently drinking champagne.
- Yeo Jin Goo as Goo Chan Sung, the new general manager of Hotel del Luna, succeeding the previous manager, Noh Joon-suk.
- Kim Kang Hoon as Young Goo Chan Sung (Ep.1+16)
- He is a handsome Harvard MBA graduate, who is hired as an assistant manager at one of Korea's top hotels. However, due to a deal his father made with Jang Man-wol twenty years before, Chan-sung is forced to become the general manager for the Hotel del Luna and overcome his fears in coping with the unseen world of ghosts. Being stoic and rational puts him at odds with Man-wol, particularly curbing her spendthrift and extortionist tendencies. Once he settles in at Hotel del Luna his compassion emerges, with a customer focus tailored to each of the ghost clients, then eagerly learning Man-wol's backstory and protecting her from committing further sins.
- Jo Hyun Chul as Sanchez, Chan Sung's best friend
- He is the son of a wealthy pizza franchise operator, running the restaurant in Seoul. He opens up his house to Chan-sung and Lee Mi-ra. He eventually learns the truth about the Hotel del Luna after his girlfriend's death.
- Park Yoo Na as Princess Song Hwa (Past) / Lee Mi Ra (Present)
- Kwon Ye Eun as Young Lee Mi Ra
- A princess during the Goguryeo era who was attracted to Chung-myung and later married him. She oversaw the destruction of Man-wol and Yeon-woo's clan of bandits, and during her wedding night was slain by Man-wol in revenge. She is reincarnated as Lee Mi-ra, a doctor and Chan-sung's squandering ex-girlfriend. She returns to Korea hoping to rekindle the romance with Chan-sung but later becomes Park Young-soo's girlfriend.
- Shin Jung Keun as Kim Sun Bi, the longest employee of Hotel del Luna and the Sky Bar's bartender
- He lived during the Joseon dynasty as the scholar Kim Shi-ik, who committed suicide after being removed from his position for writing stories about the lives of commoners. He waited for 500 years to clear his name.
- Bae Hae Seon as Choi Seo Hee, the housekeeper and room service provider with an extrovert personality who also lived during the Joseon era as a nobleman's wife.
- When she gave birth to a girl instead of a boy, the family took her child away to starve the baby whereas her husband slept with another woman to have a baby boy in order to carry on the family name. She was driven to insanity after her daughter's death and was killed later on by her husband's men. She vowed to see the family tree die out and wishes to take the last heir of the family with her to the afterlife.
- Pyo Ji Hoon as Ji Hyun Joong, a hotel receptionist
- He is nice and polite but does not like his job. He was accidentally killed by his friend during the height of the Korean War, who assumes his identity, and cares very deeply for his younger sister waiting for 70 years to leave to the after life together. He starts dating Jung Soo-jung / Kim Yoo-na but ultimately had to break up with her because he left to the afterlife.
- Kang Mi Na as Kim Yoo Na, a high school student
- A rich and arrogant student, whose physical body ends up being inhabited by the spirit of Jung Soo-jung, a schoolmate whom Yoo-na bullied and murdered by pushing her off a bridge. Yoo-na's spirit is obliterated by her parents, and so Soo-jung decides to remain inside Yoo-na's body and assume her identity to be able to live. She is hired as an intern.
- Seo Yi Sook as Ma Go Shin / God Ma Go, a human life & death guider
- She controls the life and death of people passing through the hotel and appears in many forms.
- Kang Hong Suk as Sa Shin, a grim reaper / death angel
- He guides the souls staying at the hotel to the afterlife and often makes deals with Jang Man-wol to capture wandering evil spirits.
- Lee Do Hyun as Go Chung Myung, Yeongju captain of the guards during the Gogyryeo era who fell in love with Man Wol.
- He was forced to marry Princess Song-hwa and to capture the rebels and kill them to rid the king of suspicions and protect his clan as well as to spare Man-wol from punishment. Just after his marriage to Song-hwa, he intentionally allowed himself be killed by Man-wol out of his unwavering love and guilt towards her. The first guest of the hotel, he too has been repaying his sins and stayed by Man-wol's side due to a promise he made.
- Lee Tae Sun as Yun Woo (Past) / Detective Park Young Soo (Present)
- The co-leader of the bandits with Man Wol, he acts as a surrogate brother to her. They raided Princess Song-hwa's caravan that was guarded by Go Chung-myung. He was captured and killed under the lead of Go Chung-myung, which led to Jang Man-wol developing a deep grudge against the latter. He is reincarnated as police detective Park Young-soo, who becomes Lee Mi-ra's boyfriend (reincarnation of Princess Song-hwa).
- Lee David as Sul Ji Won, a serial killer / vengeful ghost (Ep.8-14)
- He was a rich guy who was Chan Sung and Sanchez's schoolmate in Harbard. He had defamed Sanchez but was thwarted by Chan-sung, which resulted in him being Sanchez and Chan-sung's nemesis. He later commits suicide after being outed for committing a heinous crime and becomes a vengeful spirit who aims to haunt Chan-sung and his acquaintances for revenge.
- Jung Dong Hwan as Noh Joon Suk, a hotel manager for 30 years who's retiring / Chan Sung's predecessor (Ep.1-2)
- Oh Ji Ho as Goo Hyun Mo, Chan Sung's father (Ep.1+16)
- Cha Chung Hwa as a water ghost / policewoman (Ep.1)
- Kim Won Hae as Park Gyu Ho, a corrupt mayor (Ep.1)
- Lee Chae Kyung as the director of Royal Pacific Hotel / Chairman Wang's daughter (Ep.1-2+10)
- Han Jae Yi as Seo Joo Hee, a blind ghost (Ep.1-2+4)
- Go Seung Bo as a child ghost eating dumplings (Ep.1)
- Kim Oh Bok as an ER doctor (Ep.1)
- Lee Soo Ah as Yoon Seo, a little girl who sees tiger ghost (Ep.2)
- Nam Kyung Eup as Chairman Wang, Chairman of Royal Pacific Hotel (Ep.2+9-10)
- Kang Suk Won as a taxi driver (Ep.2)
- Lee Joon Gi as a priest who performs exorcism / a hotel manager candidate (Ep.3)
- Lee Si Eon as an astronaut / hotel manager candidate (Ep.3)
- Hong Seo Joon as Yoo Na's father (Ep.3)
- Lee Ji Wan as Yoo Na & Soo Jung's classmate (Ep.3)
- Gu Da Song as Yoo Na & Soo Jung's classmate (Ep.3)
- Jo Hyun Sik as Hotel del Luna's human guest from Room 404 (Ep.3)
- Park Ga Ram as Jung Soo Jung, a high school girl (Ep.3)
- Heo Soo Bin as a refugee woman in the flashback (Ep.3)
- Hong Kyung as a baker (Ep.4)
- Min Kyung Jin as a grandfather with a puppy named "Sun Dol" (Ep.4)
- Lee Min Ryung as Yoon Ga Young, a ghost from Room 13 (Ep.4+7)
- Yang Hee Won as a truck accident son ghost (Ep.4)
- Kim Mi Eun as Lee Soo Min as a ghost bride (Ep.5)
- Kwon Hyuk Kyun as a groom (Ep.5)
- Kim Mi Kyung as a mother who wants an 'afterlife' wedding (Ep.5)
- Park Jin Young as a father who wants an 'afterlife' wedding (Ep.5)
- Lee Yi Kyung as Bang Tae Woo, the crowned courtesan' lead actor (Ep.6)
- Pyo Ye Jin as the Queen of 'The Crowned Courtesan' drama (Ep.6)
- Kim Jun Hyun as himself (Ep.6)
- Seo Yi Soo as Ji Hyun Mi, Hyun Joong's sister (Ep.6-7+15-16)
- Jang Tae Min as a ghost actor (Ep.6)
- Lee Dong Hyun as a student hoping for an autograph (Ep.6)
- Oh Tae Kyung as Jung Eun Suk (Ep.7)
- Jang Joo Yeon as a wife who's upset about her husband's cellphone usage (Ep.7)
- Park Jin Joo as Kyung Hwa, an imaginary ghost (Ep.8)
- Lee Hyun Kyun as Dr. Han (Ep.8)
- Nam Jung Hee as a 112 year old woman (Ep.8)
- Yang Jo Ah as Mi Ra's friend (Ep.8)
- Park Young Soo as a real estate agent (Ep.9)
- Ahn Soo Ho as a moving truck driver (Ep.9)
- Lee Chang Jik as a brewery chief (Ep.9)
- Nam Da Reum as a spirit of the well / Daedong spirit (Ep.9-10)
- Ahn Soo Bin as Lee Do Yun, a ghost(Ep.9-14)
- Sulli as Jang Ji Eun, Chairman Wang's granddaughter (Ep.10)
- Choi Yoo Song as Goo Chan Sung's mother (Ep.10)
- Kim Joong Don as Jang Woon Myung as a detective (Ep.10)
- Seo Eun Soo as Veronica, Sanchez's girlfriend (Ep.11)
- Hwang Young Hee as Hwang Mun Seok, Hotel del Luna's former manager (Ep.11)
- Han Sa Myung as a driver who receives an apology (Ep.11)
- Lee Seung Jun as Kang Man Young, a doctor of Asian Medicine and Hyun Jin's father (Ep.12)
- Kim Seung Han as Kang Hyun Jin as Dr. Kang's son (Ep.12)
- So Hee Jung as Hyun Jin's mother (Ep.12)
- Seo Hee as a doctor (Ep.14)
- Kwon Hyuk Soo as a doctor (Ep.15-16)
- Kim Soo Hyun as the owner of the hotel Blue Moon (Ep.16)
- Choi Dae Hoon as a scholar (Ep.16)
- Lee Seung Hun as Kim Doo ll
- Sung Min Jun as Hyung Min (Ep.13)
- Jung Ye Bin as Kim Yoo Na's high school classmate
- Yu Yeon Seok as a baker (Ep.4)
- Jang Hae Song as a nelywed
- Kim Esther as Kim Yoo Na's high school classmate
- Yoon Jong Won (Ep.11)
- Park Soo Myung
- Kim Kwon
In this table, the blue numbers represent the lowest ratings and the red numbers represent the highest ratings.
|Episode||Aired||Title||Average audience share|
|Episode 01||July 13, 2019||"Welcome to Hotel Del Luna"||7.327%||7.749%|
|On a day when the full moon has risen, Hotel del Luna resumes its business. Two guests visit the hotel. One is a female dead soul who used to be a policewoman, but ended up being drowned. The other one is a man who isn't technically dead yet, but somehow ended up being lost after running away from the police.|
|Episode 02||July 14, 2019||"Catch a Tiger"||7.633%||8.857%|
|Chan Sung keeps seeing the dead souls. He comes to visit Man Wol and tells her to make him not to see the ghosts anymore. However, he's given a mission to complete, and that is to catch a tiger. Meanwhile, Manager No, the only human in Hotel del Luna, retires from his position.|
|Episode 03||July 20, 2019||"In a Dream"||8.281%||9.468%|
|Chan Sung sees a woman in his dream, and the woman looks like Man Wol. Chan Sung wants to know about the history of Hotel del Luna and Man Wol's past, but the staff at the hotel wouldn’t tell him. Meanwhile, a dead soul that committed suicide by leaping from the overpass shows up in front of Chan Sung.|
|Episode 04||July 21, 2019||"Room 13"||7.736%||9.024%|
|Man Wol tells Chan Sung to take good care of her. As Man Wol opens her heart to Chan Sung, new leaves start to sprout from the Moon Tree. Such a change agitates Man Wol and the staff of the hotel. They start to think everything has begun to change after Chan Sung joined the hotel. Meanwhile, the door to Room 13 is finally opened.|
|Episode 05||July 27, 2019||"Dead Bride's Wish"||7.023%||7.883%|
|A dead bride's spirit comes to visit Hotel del Luna. Chan Sung kindly shows the guest in. Seeing him taking good care of the female guest makes Man Wol jealous and upset. Meanwhile, a red pocket is found at a park. Any man who picks up the red pocket has to get married to the bride’s spirit.|
|Episode 06||July 28, 2019||"Chan Seong's Ex-girlfriend"||8.701%||9.949%|
|Man Wol plans to go out for a meal with Chan Sung. However, she hears from Sanchez that Mi Ra, Chan Sung's ex-girlfriend, has shown up. Man Wol starts to feel jealous. Meanwhile, the spirit of a king of Joseon Dynasty checks in to Hotel del Luna. All the staff members do their best to make sure that he has a comfortable stay.|
|Episode 07||August 3, 2019||"Rival in Love"||8.052%||8.772%|
|The evil spirit that has escaped from Room 13 continues to harm men. The spirit gets closer to the one that she's after. Chan Sung decides to become the bait himself to catch the spirit. Meanwhile, Man Wol runs into Mi Ra who had an ill-fated relationship with Man Wol in their previous life.|
|Episode 08||August 4, 2019||"Man Wol and Princess Song Hwa"||9.131%||10.469%|
|Chan Sung finds out why Man Wol is tied down to Hotel del Luna. In dreams, he happens to see what happened between Man Wol and Princess Song Hwa in the past. Meanwhile, Man Wol invites Mi Ra to Hotel del Luna and plans to torment her.|
|Episode 09||August 10, 2019||"Where Are You, Man Wol?"||8.349%||10.266%|
|Hotel del Luna disappears over night. Chan Sung begins to trace Man Wol. The hotel staffers are having difficulty in dealing with all the work without Chan Sung. Meanwhile, Hyun Joong and Yu Na meet a group of spirits in the mountains on their way to the new hotel.|
|Episode 10||August 11, 2019||"Chairman Wang's Offer"||10.009%||11.779%|
|Man Wol realizes that Yeon Woo has reincarnate as a man named Yeong Su and is now a detective in this world. Mi Ra runs into Yeong Su on the street. Meanwhile, Chairman Wang says that he would like to arrange a date between his granddaughter and Chan Sung. Will Chan Sung accept the offer?|
|Episode 11||August 17, 2019||"Lunar Eclipse"||8.590%||9.746%|
|Man Wol and Chan Sung start to date without telling anyone in the hotel. A lunar eclipse occurs in 39 years, and humans get to see the presence of Hotel del Luna. To greet special guests visiting on the day of the lunar eclipse, Chan Sung opens the door of Room 404. Meanwhile, Seol Ji Won, the serial killer, looks for Yu Na.|
|Episode 12||August 18, 2019||"Ill-Fated Relationship"||10.407%||12.178%|
|Chan Sung is attacked by the serial killer, Seol Ji Won. Man Wol keeps calling Chan Sung, but he won't answer. Man Wol thinks that something bad has happened to him. Then, Yu Na tells that she has seen an ambulance take a man to the hospital. Everyone at the hotel starts to worry about Chan Sung.|
|Episode 13||August 24, 2015||"Seo Hee's Resentment"||8.750%||9.892%|
|The flowers in the hotel start withering. The staff of the hotel wonders if it's time to prepare to leave for the after life. Meanwhile, Seo Hee recognizes a new male guest. She realizes that it is a chance to resolve her deep sorrow and resentment before going to the after life. Also, Seo Ji Won, who has become a vengeful spirit, begins to harass Chan Sung's acquaintances.|
|Episode 14||August 25, 2019||"Man Wol's Choice"||9.995%||11.986%|
|Man Wol is obsessed with the thought that Chung Myung might have been reincarnated as Chan Sung. She finally faces a choice for Chan Sung. Meanwhile, Chan Sung and the Grim Reaper find where Seol Ji Won is. When they arrive at the place, they meet Man Wol. Chan Sung is curious about what Man Wol is up to.|
|Episode 15||August 31, 2019||"Chan Seong's Time Travel"||9.892%||11.255%|
|While crossing the bridge to the afterlife, Man Wol starts to forget her memories piece by piece. Will Man Wol come back to Chan Sung? Meanwhile, Chan Sung travels back in time and gets to meet Man Wol in the Joseon Dynasty. He has to find a flower there and return to present day. Will he return or will he choose to stay behind and be at the side of the woman he loves?|
|Episode 16||September 1, 2019||"Time to Say Goodbye"||12.001%||13.875%|
|The staffers at the hotel prepare to leave for the afterlife one by one. Man Wol sees them off herself and realizes that there isn't much time left for her. She also prepares to leave. Meanwhile, Mr. Kim decides to leave for the afterlife before he gets humiliated by the book that the dead author wrote. Man Wol and Chan Sung come up with an idea of clearing Mr. Kim’s name.|
|Philippines||November 18, 2019 - January 24, 2020||Viu|
On June 24, 2020, Studio Dragon announced that it would co-produce an American remake of Hotel del Luna with Skydance. Alison Schapker will be in charge of developing and producing the series. She will be working with Miky Lee, Jinnie Choi and Hyun Park of Studio Dragon, and David Ellison, Dana Goldberg and Bill Bost of Skydance Television.
Awards and nominations
|2019||12th Korea Drama Awards||Best Original Soundtrack||"All About You" (Taeyeon)||Nominated|
|Lifeime Achievement Award||Jung Dong Hwan||Won|
|21st Mnet Asian Music Awards||Best OST||"Remember Me" (Gummy)|
|"So Long" (Paul Kim)||Nominated|
|2nd Asian Academy Creative Awards||Best Drama Series - Regional||Hotel del Luna||Won|
|11th Melon Music Awards||Best OST||"Remember Me" (Gummy)|
|8th Korea First Brand Awards||Best Actress||IU|
|2020||34th Golden Disc Awards||Best OST||"Remember Me" (Gummy)|
|29th Seoul Music Awards||OST Award||"All About You" (Taeyeon)|
|"Lean on Me" (10cm)||Nominated|
|"Can You See My Heart?" (Heize)|
|"Remember Me" (Gummy)|
|"So Long" (Paul Kim)|
|56th Baeksang Arts Awards||Best Actress (TV)||IU|
- This drama took over the timeslot previously occupied by Arthdal Chronicles and will be followed by Arthdal Chronicles on September 7, 2019.