- SHINee (International)
- 샤이니 (Syaini) in Korea
- シャイニー (shaini) in Japan
- Why "SHINee"?: Their name is a combination of the word "shine" and the suffix "-ee", as in "People who receive the light".
- Origin: Seoul, South Korea.
- Members: 4
- Korea: May 25, 2008.
- Japan: June 22, 2011
- Official Fanclub: SHAWOL (샤월), short for SHINee World (샤이니 월드)
- Official Color: Pearl Aqua
- SM Entertainment (South Korea)
- Universal Music (Japan)
- Avex Group (Taiwan)
SHINee was kept a secret until May 18, 2008, when the introduction of the new group surfaced on various articles on the internet. However, some members of the band had already made small appearances without alerting the media about a new group:
- Jonghyun lent his voice in a duet with Zhang Li Yin on "Wrongly Given Love" (Chinese:交错的爱, pinyin: Gyo cuòjeog AI), which was recorded in the first Chinese album Zhang Li Yin.
- Minho appeared in a Ha Sang Baek fashion show in March 2008.
- On May 19, 2008, a teaser for the group's debut music video appeared on their official website. The teaser for their first single "누난 너무 예뻐 (Replay)" was released the same day on their official website. The video was released on May 22, 2008 and their first mini-album on May 23, 2008. Ha Sang Baek was named as their official designer, he created the fashion called "SHINee Trend".
2008: Debut with 'Replay' Edit
On May 22, 2008, they debuted with the MV Replay and their first mini album was released on May 23, 2008. On May 25, they made their official debut on SBS's music show, Inkigayo. The mini-album stayed at #10 in the Korean music charts and peaked at #8, selling 17,957 copies in the first half of 2008.
On June 7, 2008, SHINee performed at the Dream Concert in the Seoul Olympic Stadium along with other popular Korean stars such as Epik High, Girls' Generation, Super Junior, TVXQ and Wonder Girls. It also done many performances in various shows TV shows, including Star King and Star Golden Bell. SHINee received the Rookie of the Month ', nine days after his debut in the MNet 20's Choice Award 2008 won the' Hot New Star Award.
First Album 'The SHINee World' Edit
On July 28, 2008, SHINee released their first full length album entitled, The SHINee World . The album debuted on the charts at # 3, selling 30,000 copies, the first single released from the album was' "산소 같은 너 (Love Like Oxygen)" a cover of "Show the World " by Martin Hoberg Hedegaard. On 18 September 2008, ' " 산소 같은 너 (Love Like Oxygen)" was the # 1 song on M! Countdown. A few days later, Shinee received the "Mutizen" award on Inkigayo.
Repackage: AMIGO Edit
The Repackage album contained three new songs: Forever or Never, a remix of "Sa.Gye.Han (Love Should Go On) (사.계.한)" and the promotional single "AMIGO" (아 미.고.) "Amigo" is a shortened version of the Korean phrase "Areumdaun Minyeorueljoahamyeon Gosaenghanda" (아름다운 미녀 를 좋아 하면 고생 한다 lit. Heart Aches When You Fall In Love With a Beauty)
They have been praised for their live performances, as they are very good and the voice quality of all members is noted.
2009: Second Mini Album: RomeoEdit
In early February 2009, Shinee won 'Best Newcomer', along with Davichi and Mighty Mouth in the 18th Seoul Music Awards.
The May 25, 2009, SHINee's second mini album Romeo was released and its first single, "Juliette" was released earlier on May 18. The song was a new instrumental version of "Deal With It" by Corbin Bleu.
Shinee eventually had their comeback on June 5, 2009, on KBS Music Bank, where they won first place.
Third Mini Album: 2009, Year of Us Edit
On October 19, 2009, the group released their third mini-album, 2009, Year of Us . The first single, Ring Ding Dong , was released digitally on October 14.
In early December 2009, Shinee won the 'Popularity Award' along with Super Junior in the '24th Golden Disk Awards'.
In February 2010, the group won the main "Bonsang" award at the 19th Seoul Music Awards.