|This page uses content from an article at Wikipedia. The list of authors can be seen in the page history. As with Drama Wiki, the text of Wikipedia is available under the GNU Free Documentation License.|
What's Wrong with Secretary Kim (김비서가 왜 그럴까; Kimbiseoga wae geureolkka) is a 2018 South Korean television series starring Park Seo Joon and Park Min Young. It is based on the novel of the same title by Jung Kyung Yoon which was first published in 2013, which was then serialized into a webtoon comic by KakaoPage in 2015. The series aired on tvN from June 6 to July 26, 2018, on Wednesdays and Thursdays for 16 episodes.
Can you be so self-absorbed that you have no idea what's truly going on around you?
Lee Yeong Joon (Park Seo Joon) is vice president of his family-owned company, Yoomyung Group. He is so narcissistic that he doesn't pay attention to what his trusty secretary, Kim Mi So (Park Min Young), is trying to tell him most of the time. After nine years of making Yeong Joon look good and stroking his very large ego, Min So decides to quit her job. Yeong Joon's older brother, Lee Sung Yeon (Lee Tae Hwan), is a famous author who is in love with Mi So.
Can Yeong Joon accept the fact that Mi So no longer wants to work for him or will he get the wrong idea?
- Park Seo Joon as Lee Yeong Joon
- Moon Woo Jin as 9-year-old Lee Yeong Joon/Lee Sung Hyun
- Vice chairman of Yumyeong Group. He is handsome and capable, but his narcissism makes it difficult for Mi So to work with him. He realized his feelings towards Mi So after realizing that he might lose her. He can be jealous if Mi So is with his brother or with someone other than him. At one point in his life, he suffered PTSD.
- Park Min Young as Kim Mi So
- Kim Ji Yoo as Young Kim Mi So
- A highly skilled secretary who has worked with Yeong Joon for nine years. She soon reciprocates Yeong Joon's feelings after realizing that he was a part of her childhood.
- Lee Tae Hwan as Lee Sung Yeon/Morpheus
- Bae Gang Yoo as young Lee Sung Yeon
- Yeong Joon's older brother and a famous author. He has a crush on Mi So.
- Pyo Ye Jin as Kim Ji Ah
- The rookie secretary to the Vice chairman, being groomed to replace Mi So who has announced her resignation.
- Kim Hye Ok as Madame Choi, Yeong Joon and Sung Yeon's mother
- Lee Soo Kyung as young Madame Choi (Ep.11-12)
- Kim Byung Ok as CEO Lee, Yeong Joon and Sung Yeons's father and the chairman of Yumyeong Group
- Go Se Won as young CEO Lee (Ep.8)
- Kang Ki Young as Park Yoo Sik
- President and Director of Yumyeong Group. Yeong Joon's best friend back from university. He is Yeong Joon's confidante and provides him with much advice drawn from personal experience. He is still in love with his ex-wife.
- Kang Hong Suk as Yang Cheol, Yeong Joon's secretary
- Hwang Chan Sung as Go Gwi Nam
- Deputy of Yumyeong Group. He is known for his handsome looks, elite education, being a workaholic, and extreme frugality.
- Kim Ye Won as Sul Ma Eum, Yoo Sik's secretary, who has a clumsy personality
- Lee Yoo Joon as Jung Chi In
- Hwang Bo Ra as Bong Se Ra
- A section head, who initially coveted the open position of secretary to the vice chairman, and had a crush on Gwi Nam.
- Kim Jung Woon as Park Joon Hwan
- Lee Jung Min as Lee Young Ok
- Hong Ji Yoon as Oh Ji Ran
- Baek Eun Hye as Kim Pil Nam, a mental health doctor and Mi So's oldest sister
- Kim Shi Eun as young Kim Pil Nam
- Heo Soon Mi as Kim Mal Hee, Mi So's second oldest sister
- Lee Min Ki as young Kim Young Man (Ep.10)
In this table, the blue numbers represent the lowest ratings and the red numbers represent the highest ratings.
|Episode||Original broadcast date||Title||Average audience share|
|Episode 01||June 6, 2018||"I Want to Pick Up My Life Now"||5.757%||6.446%||6.3%|
|Yeong Joon has never been turned down in his entire life. But his secretary tells him that she will quit. He wants to know why she would quit and asks for advice from people around him. Young Joon tries everything he can to make Mi So stay.|
|Episode 02||June 7, 2018||"She Just Doesn't Want to Get Married"||5.403%||5.529%||5.6%|
|Yeong Joon has no idea why Mi So wants to quit, so he proposes to Mi So to keep her around him. Surprisingly, Mi So rejects his proposal. Yoo Shik, Yeong Joon's friend, gives him an advice on how to stop her from quitting.|
|Episode 03||June 13, 2018||"Go on a Date"||6.950%||8.252%||8.3%|
|Yeong Joon goes to the amusement park with Mi So and gives her retirement presents. However, Mi So, who only cared about her job, decides to go out on a blind date.|
|Episode 04||June 14, 2018||"I Come Back to Forgive You"||6.379%||6.945%||6.3%|
|Yeong Joon gets all jealous. They visit an art center and get to spend some romantic time. Meanwhile, Yeong Joon's brother Seong Yeon comes back to Korea. But it seems like there's something weird going on between these two brothers.|
|Episode 05||June 20, 2018||"Ordinary Relationships"||6.855%||7.500%||7.0%|
|After realizing he is in love with Mi So, Yeong Joon makes effort to show his love to her with some of the most ways. However, Mi So, who doesn't have any idea about what's going on, is standing next to Seong Yeon in a pretty dress.|
|Episode 06||June 21, 2018||"What's Wrong with Vice Chairman Lee?"||7.687%||8.554%||7.7%|
|Mi So asks for a day leave for the first time. But she does not know what to do and where to go because she has never taken a day off.|
|Episode 07||June 27, 2018||"Memories Should Stay Buried"||7.281%||8.201%||8.5%|
|Mi So and Seong Yeon get closer as time goes by. This makes Yeong Joon so jealous to the point where he uses more direct ways to show his interest. Mi So is all excited about the workshop, but Yeong Joon suddenly appears, leaving employees dumbfounded.|
|Episode 08||June 28, 2018||"I Like You Too"||8.120%||9.326%||8.3%|
|Yeong Joon invites Mi So to his house. Mi So feels weird and nervous even though she's been to his place so many times. At the opening ceremony of Art Center, Seong Yeon makes a speech and Mi So worries about Yeong Joon.|
|Episode 09||July 4, 2018||"Let's Make it Official"||7.767%||9.428%||8.8%|
|Their relationship has finally begun! Unlike Yeong Joon, who wants to tell each and every one of the office employees that they are dating.|
|Episode 10||July 5, 2018||"It Was You All Along"||8.403%||9.545%||9.2%|
|The guy Mi So has been looking for is not Seong Yeon, but Yeong Joon?! Mi So doesn't get why people around her would lie to her telling Seong Yeon is the brother. To make things clear, Mi So visits Yeong Joon's mother.|
|Episode 11||July 11, 2018||"Why Hold Back the Truth?"||8.665%||10.565%||10.6%|
|Mi So faints after remembering being kidnapped in the past. Mi So wakes up and starts crying knowing the guy she has been looking for is standing right in front of her. Yeong Joon kept the secret to himself not wanting her to know about her past.|
|Episode 12||July 12, 2018||"I Don't Want to Waste Away Tonight"||8.393%||10.052%||9.7%|
|Yeong Joon worries so much about Mi So, as he knows what it is like to know about one's sad past. Yeong Joon wants to take care of her all the time, so he moves in with her. However, Seong Yeon wonders why his brother hasn't said anything about this.|
|Episode 13||July 18, 2018||"Nothing Can Stop Us"||7.673%||8.717%||8.7%|
|Yeong Joon leaves for a business trip. Upon his arrival, they spend time together feeling all happy. But it seems like someone got the wind of what's going on between Yeong Joon and Mi So.|
|Episode 14||July 19, 2018||"I Will Always Stay with You"||8.100%||9.506%||9.2%|
|They are both now facing obstacles. For Yeong Joon, it's Mi So's father- and for Mi So, it's Yeong Joon's "girl" friend. It's almost that day- Mi So's last day at work. But Mi So starts to have mixed emotions.|
|Episode 15||July 25, 2018||"Wedding Bells"||7.107%||7.725%||8.0%|
|Mi So's dad objects to the marriage at first but approves their relationship after drinking with Yeong Joon and feeling his sincere love towards his daughter. Meanwhile, Mi So calls her "boyfriend" Yeong Joon while drinking with her friends.|
|Episode 16||July 26, 2018||"What's Wrong with You, Kim Mi So?"||8.602%||10.001%||9.8%|
|Yeong Joon and Mi So's wedding preparations are almost done following his proposal. Yeong Joon is a little upset because of Mi So who "still" only cares about work, and Mi So prepares a special give to make him feel better.|
Much of the visual styling of the series protagonists have referenced the comic version's cues, including clothing designs and reenacting the comic cover for the drama's promotional stills and images.
The first script reading was held on April 10, 2018, at Studio Dragon in Sangam-dong, Seoul, South Korea.
The press conference for the drama was held on May 30, 2018, at the Times Square in Seoul with the attendance of the main cast and crew.
Awards and nominations
|2018||11th Korea Drama Awards||Top Excellence Award, Actor||Park Seo Joon||Nominated|
|Excellence Award, Actor||Hwang Chan Sung||Won|
|Hallyu Star Award|
|Popular Character Award – Female||Pyo Ye Jin|
|Best Original Soundtrack||"Because I Only See You" (Kim Na Young)||Nominated|
|6th APAN Star Awards||Top Excellence Award, Actor in a Miniseries||Park Seo Joon||Won|
|Excellence Award, Actress in a Miniseries||Park Min Young||Nominated|
|K-Star Award, Actor||Park Seo Joon|
|K-Star Award, Actress||Park Min Young||Won|
|2019||14th Annual Soompi Awards||Best Actress of the Year|
|Best Actor of the Year||Park Seo Joon||Nominated|
|Best Couple||Park Seo Joon and Park Min Young|
- This drama took over the timeslot previously occupied by My Mister and was followed by Familiar Wife on August 1, 2018.
- The drama was based on the novel of the same name by Jung Kyung Yoon.
- The novel was also adapted into a webcomic, which was illustrated by Kim Young Mi.